Audition Sight Reading
Hi everyone, today I give you 3 easy steps to practice, in order to make sight reading in auditions EASY!
The 3 steps are:
- What is in your foot? --Just look at the time signature and ask yourself if you have a quarter or 8th note in your foot.
- What is in your hand? --Just practice at home memorizing the first hand pattern for up to 4 sharps and 4 flats. With minimal practice, you will be able to memorize these patterns very quickly.
- Rehearse. --Finger through the first 2 or 3 measures as many times as you can until they tell you to begin. Remember to ALWAYS, follow the beat in your foot!
- Don't start before they tell you to. Use all your time!
- Pick a slow tempo that will provide you time to think ahead.
Good luck and happy practicing!